14x12 poly brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Do M****n B*ing. do a 14x12 poly brood box.
I've looked at the website and it doesn't appear and then phoned them and the people who answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about?
I've searched the forum to no avail.

Tim :banghead:

If it's not on their website....

I am using two shallows as a 14 x 12 brood. Eventually I may fit a small eke to make it a proper fit for the frames, but the floor is deep enough to accommodate the frames, and I screwed it all together.

Expensive way to go for a brood box, but the next will have a timber floor anyway and a home-made timber roof. Cheap polyhive that way.

RAB

Do M****n B*ing. do a 14x12 poly brood box.

No. (Though I think it might have been considered at some point.)
There are just two rival suppliers that I am aware of.
Pains and B**hive Supplies.
Both list it among their "national" stuff.

I'll join you in head banging.
I bought the kit...which I like... on the assumption there would be a 14 x 12.
I talked to one of the forum members who used to have a concern with MB and I went the way of two supers to start with like RAB.
That's OK til you need to put these two boxes on top of another....uniting for one example.... when you will need an eke.
In desperation I chopped a super, eked out two national boxes and now have two 14 x 12s.

I like the top space.
There's nothing else out there.

We've just bought a 14 x 12 polyhive from B**keeping S*******. It doesn't come as one unit, you have to glue the brood box and super walls together, but otherwise seems okay so far.. very early days though!

I would dowel and glue to make a better join which is what I used to do in the "good old days" when the only super you could get you got bu cutting down brood boxes.

PH

I would dowel and glue

Can't get a much better joint than a dovetail - only those like the MB which have tight fitting closed tenons and don't really need gluel

Indeed. I am sure they are up to scratch in that respect but I was actually referring to DIY not off the shelf. MB are far from the only ones offering dovetail joints as most are well aware. It's pretty much the poly standard over the last 20+ years.

PH

Latest posts

Back