14x12 nuc recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Planning ahead a bit, can anyone recommend a decent quality 14x12 nuc box supplier please ?

Probably not for overwintering in so ply ok and cheaper than cedar, solid or mesh floor ? is number of frames ie 5 or 6 important ?

I use Paynes with an eke.

I cut out the feeder because it is a pain (payne)

Use a deep timber nuc and simply add a 95mm eke between floor and body? 5 frames is more than enough for that format. My six frame polynucs over-winter soo easily and make productive colonies early in the seaon.

I would suggest you get some the same number of frames as your current nucs, if timber, as floors and roofs, will/should interchange. Small interchangeable shallows get used for extra stores with mine, but for summer use, that is not important, except a feeder will fit in there if/when needed.

Paynes and (newly) Maisemore both offer 6-frame poly 14x12 nucs.

I've had a few of the Paynes boxes for a few years. They are fine, but like everything, not quite perfect.
I close off the integral internal feeder and pretend its not there. There is now an (extra cost) top-feeder available.
The roof is a bit thin for overwintering, but an extra eke with insulation fixes that.
I love being able to put a second brood box (and for my 14x12, a second eke) on the top, so that I can keep a nuc colony in there for longer if I have to.
It also facillitates uniting nucs, doing comb changes on small colonies, etc.
The extra width from the redundant side-feeder provides extra stability when making a tall double brood 14x12 nuc.

If I was starting over, I'd consider the Maisemore, remember that the entrance disc QX is faulty and that it lacks a coverboard, and might still choose it. But I wouldn't realise the flexibility I was missing from the other parts of the Paynes 'system'.
As it is, I'm very content with the Paynes.

I'm with itma on most points. Paynes is robust and feeder can be ignored.
What we really need is a poly nuc with a separate floor

I'm with itma on most points. Paynes is robust and feeder can be ignored.
What we really need is a poly nuc with a separate floor

:iagree:

I believe Roger at P's reads the forum and if we make enough noise it MAY happen. Feedback form customers etc. Do they want our money or not?

:iagree:

I believe Roger at P's reads the forum and if we make enough noise it MAY happen. Feedback form customers etc. Do they want our money or not?

Well ... with the 'additional' brood box now established, all that would be needed would be a floor module to put under it.
Probably about the same cost (size, complexity, amount of plastic) as the top feeder ...
/// Just don't drop the current "base layer" -- its a nice skep for dropping a swarm straight into, a loose floor really wouldn't help!
/// Or maybe those that wanted a loose floor could just make their own from ply or whatever ...

But if there was anyone listening, a thicker roof would be a great improvement. The Mk2 Roof for the poly national hive was a great upgrade. I reckon the nuc roof being thicker would be a similar enhancement.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Paynes Poly Nucs and accessories, like others I now ignore the feeders
I just use the brood box extension with a lid to collect swarms on grass before transferring the frames into the Nuc

I have a Paynes Nuc....which I like but don't use the feeder. The rest of my nucs are Maisie's. Some with ekes. They are a very reasonable price but I don't like having no top bee space. So I use pieces of thin batten along the edge where the roof sits. Also I made thin polyurethane cover boards which sit on top of the frames to prevent brace comb. It works for me. No more squashed bees under the feeder or roof.
I also have a MB Langstroth Nuc....this has a separate floor and can be used for 2 small nucs with the divider board in place. You can buy extra brood bodies too. I have just double deckered one ...saved moving the bees and the second box benefits from the warmth from below.

Have local hive manufacturer.
He has made me several 14X12 nucs, with an eke at the bottom that converts them to normal size when removed. Not sure he does mail order though, as he's only 3 miles away I don't need it! :winner1st:

If I collect a small late swarm I put them in the nuc on standard frames, let them draw out the frames and then add the "extension" when / if they fill out the smaller frames before winter.

Well ... with the 'additional' brood box now established, all that would be needed would be a floor module to put under it.

Oh for heaven's sake....how simple is that?
Just got to get husband to make a couple of wooden floors to go with them :)

i buy wooden 14x12 from Heather Bell honeybees-Cornwall beekeeping supplies either six frame fixed OM bottom or five frames with OMFs

They are near helston and found them while visiting relatives in Cambourne,and i was quite surprise at the high quality for the price

will be buying some three frame nucs next year from them to use as mating nucs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back