14x12 extension kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

Does anyone have experience of converting DN4 frames to 14x12 using Thorne's extension kit?

Are there any alternatives?

Hi

Does anyone have experience of converting DN4 frames to 14x12 using Thorne's extension kit?

Are there any alternatives?
I have converted DN4 frames to fit my commercial hive. see ted hooper for illustration, and use a bean or tomato tin for attachment. they can be put on using a rampin. :D

Yes, I don't think it's worth it. Buy new sides and wax instead. :) JC.

Just let then build their own comb below the bottom bar. Its free.

W

Used them and wouldnt bother again. They are top of my list for replacement.

I split BS National using a 14 x 12 box and allowed comb on the bottom bars, but it is far from convenient. In retrospect I should have extended the BS frames with polystyrene foam which may not be for the best, but would have prevented the inconvenience of the extra comb and all that entails until I can work the brood and the frames out of the system completely.

Just remove the bottom comb on the same date (say 21st) every june, july, aug, and sept, since it will be drone comb and will remove a high percentage of varroa brood along with it.

Some say a 60% reduction in varroa can be achieved with this technique alone.

In addition to sugar dusting, winter oxalic, and thymol pads (apiguard ?), I am informed will reduce varroa infestation to negligible proportions.

Personally I am not yet that organized, but I'm trying. I haven't seen any varroa in my hives recently.

JC.

Last edited:
A large proportion is drone comb and I agree with you, but I have noticed regular capped worker brood also. I feel a need to move the smaller frames progressively out from the centre of the brood nest so that I am getting maximum benefit from my 14 x 12 box. Perhaps to retain only one Standard frame for varroa control.

When I have culled drone brood, I have not noticed any mites, so seemingly lucky thus far.

Latest posts

Back