14 x 12 nuc with bees needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essex boy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi all, This will be my first beekeeping season and I'm ready to go apart from finding some bees. I contacted a local beekeeper who sells nucs but he only has standard National nucs, I have opted for a 14 x 12 frame National brood box and ideally need a colony on 14 x 12 frames. Anybody know of someone who's a respected supplier of 14 X 12 nucs? Kind Regards, Alex p.s. Ideally within a 20 mile radius of Chelmsford, Essex

Hi all, This will be my first beekeeping season and I'm ready to go apart from finding some bees. I contacted a local beekeeper who sells nucs but he only has standard National nucs, I have opted for a 14 x 12 frame National brood box and ideally need a colony on 14 x 12 frames. Anybody know of someone who's a respected supplier of 14 X 12 nucs? Kind Regards, Alex p.s. Ideally within a 20 mile radius of Chelmsford, Essex

You seem to have lost the plot, You have found someone who is willing to sell you a nuc now. Do you not realise that you can put the standard frames in a 14*12 box and surround them with 14*12 frames they will grow the standard frames by adding wax to the bottoms and move onto the new frames, you can then move the original frames gradually to the edge of the box and remove them or making sure the Q is on a genuine 14*12 frame insert a Q excluder above her and put the original frames above in a standard box until all brood has hatched and then remove.

Grab what you can regards being offered a nuc from a good supplier.
Thornes do some sort of extension for converting Standard National frames to 14 x 12 if you dont want to do what Sherwood advises.

Hi Alex

As with the two other posts they are both right with a bit of adjustment the standard frames will work in the 14x12 BB and if you have a local supply and you are happy with them then go with that.
I have pm you so if you want to call then it will be good to hear from you.

Thomas

Hi

Simply cable tie some wood to the bottom bars to fill the void, readily available off most builders merchants racks.

Find the queen and pop her in a cage first, and shake the bees off frames makes life easier.

Regards Ian

search recent threads on 14x12, you can do a bsiley change by getting them to drawn 14x12 foundation in a brood box above your mainbrood box ( if you only have one 14x12 brood then use two supers as the lower brood (standard frames are 215 or for a 14x12 304mm so 2x 150mm supers plus 4 mm into floor gives enoughlower bee sp ace to use a double super, remember that if you need an emergency 14x12 brood)

14x12 Nuc...like hens teeth, most supplies would rather than use 14x12 brood use a double brood, so they have move frames to split to nuc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back