14 x 12 frame issue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
Noticed on my inspections this year that the foundation near the bottom bars has either been nibbled away or not drawn out. The weight has then distorted or buckled the comb meaning I've had to use elastic bands to straighten and/or reinforce the comb.

Is this an issue with 14*12 frames? Inferior foundation or frames? Bottom of the hive too cold due to omf? Beekeeping error?

Thanks

We find it's an issue with 14x12. We now use small cable ties through the wires and around the bottom bars if the comb starts to 'flex'. We're also putting ties onto new foundation, through the wax and then through the loop of wire below the bottom bars. Seems to work. Hope this helps.

Its not really a problem if the frame is handled sympathetically - kept in the vertical plane - at least until it has been used for brooding.
The cocoon silk left in each cell after brooding (and the prop varnishing) serves to fibre-reinforce the wax, stiffening it massively.

Get the frames fully drawn fast, and while newly-drawn handle them carefully.
Not a problem, just something to consider.

Our bees chew all along the bottom and halfway up the sides, so for us it's a problem, whether it's drawn or not.

Noticed on my inspections this year that the foundation near the bottom bars has either been nibbled away or not drawn out. The weight has then distorted or buckled the comb meaning I've had to use elastic bands to straighten and/or reinforce the comb.

Is this an issue with 14*12 frames? Inferior foundation or frames? Bottom of the hive too cold due to omf? Beekeeping error?

Thanks

I found 14 x 12 inferior to my 16 x 10 commercial frames, that is why my poly 14 x 12 will be cut to national deep and used as a super. The more you lean towards a rectangle the stronger the frame.

Thanks

One or two frames get chewed around the edges but I've not found 14 x 12 significantly different to the national frames used in in the association apiary in this respect. Some bees seem to chew holes and edges more than others. Keeping the frames vertical should be a habit you maintain :)

If you want to get perfickerly drawn comb for 14x12, simply use a box as a super in a good OSR flow. Usual problem with foundation in the brood box is too many at a time, or the wax does not slide easily through the gap between the bottom bars. Small colonies will not draw it to the bottom in a brood.

RAB

Thanks all for the replies.

I'll be trying the cable tie method.

As it happens, as per Rab's suggestion I've already put a box of 14*12's above two of my strongest colonies earlier this week as OSR was blooming and the forecast looked good.

Latest posts

Back