12 oz round honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get my 12 oz round from c Wynne Jones.
If you want a pallet worth though freeman’s might be a better bet.

I get my 12 oz round from c Wynne Jones.
If you want a pallet worth though freeman’s might be a better bet.

Dani
I just got some 12oz round jars from wynne jones - good price - great service as usual but the jars are very big. Put 12oz of honey in it and it looks very mean - big gap at top. Has this been your experience?

Yes. I just add a little extra ignoring the honey regulations rules.
If you go for the taller 12 oz round they call Pandora that’s a better fit

Dani
I just got some 12oz round jars from wynne jones - good price - great service as usual but the jars are very big. Put 12oz of honey in it and it looks very mean - big gap at top. Has this been your experience?

You can put whatever weight of honey you like in so long as the label is not misleading (probably only a concern if you are selling underweight).
So if the jars look better with 375g rather than 340g, have your labels printed to reflect that.

You can put whatever weight of honey you like in so long as the label is not misleading (probably only a concern if you are selling underweight).
So if the jars look better with 375g rather than 340g, have your labels printed to reflect that.

And a just the price accordingly!

Yes. I just add a little extra ignoring the honey regulations rules.

Just in case we have the usual facebook expert debate on this - nowhere does it say in the honey regulations, or weights and measures act that it is unlawful to have jars that are slightly over the weight specified on the label. The 'baker's dozen' principle is still allowed.

Just in case we have the usual facebook expert debate on this - nowhere does it say in the honey regulations, or weights and measures act that it is unlawful to have jars that are slightly over the weight specified on the label. The 'baker's dozen' principle is still allowed.

I always thought it couldn’t be less than what is stated on the label. I always go over weight.

I always thought it couldn’t be less than what is stated on the label. I always go over weight.

That’s correct but there are always opinions on how much overweight you can go. I’m not sure there is anything in the honey regs about that and in any case it’s a matter for local trading standards.
My fault for adding that to my reply.
Let’s just leave the thread looking for jars.

I found the bottle company south to be pretty good for quality and price.

Quantity wise I normally put the ‘estimated’ symbol and try to get it as close as possible to the label (normally slightly over)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_sign

TS told me that it was not acceptable in England unless you adopted a system of bottling a minimum of 500 and check weighed a percentage and recorded weights.
Difficult when bottling only a couple of 100 or so from a bespoke apiary and month.

Birmingham compak seem to be best price ... but this is for pallet quantities

I found the bottle company south to be pretty good for quality and price.

Not used BCS (alway gone local at Freeman & Harding) but have just returned from the market where I stopped to chat to the beekeeper on duty this week. He also uses F&H but because they closed for a period of C19 (now open again) he bought BCS 8oz hex, but will not do so again.

A BCS jar weighs 50g less than an F&H jar when empty so the glass is thinner, and the interior surface had a curious speckled finish. He said they all needed washing as the necks had a ring of release agent and dust; jars relegated to jam use.

TS told me that it was not acceptable in England unless you adopted a system of bottling a minimum of 500 and check weighed a percentage and recorded weights.
Difficult when bottling only a couple of 100 or so from a bespoke apiary and month.

You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

I have used Jarsandbottles.co.uk for the Hex 12 oz jars and been really pleased in teh past....although been bought by Pattersons.
They do special offers on hex jars occasionally too

They've always been Pattesons (Grimsby company) they were bought out a year or two ago by a company on the continent, kept the name but their prices weren't as good.
I've always had a good price from Compac.

Latest posts

Back