12 hives stolen Whitby N.Yorks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
TWELVE beehives, ten of which contained bees, were stolen from a paddock at East Barnby farm Whitby north Yorks.

The hives were taken some time between 11 and 18 March 2009

What the hell's going on !!!!.
All this news is making me very concerned about my out apiarys !!!

That aside theft posts are very useful, particularly if the theives try to sell on to anyone on the forum, if we all work together im sure we could catch some of these shites eventually.

How very upsetting for the people that have lost them, I cannot imagine any old Tom, Dick or Harry having the balls to steal hives tho.... and how on earth did they spot the camouflaged ones??

It is a thought that painting the outside of the hive with an unusual design will make them harder to sell on quickly... nothing to stop the thief breaking them down into nucs though. Commiserations to those who have had bees stolen.

Has anyone checked e-bay?

Regards;

If reports of stolen hives could include a description - hive type, wood/poly, supers if any, branded or not and as above with or without bees - it would give members an idea of what to look out for if offered bees from an unknown source.
Mike

Yes nothing there.

A few possiblities.

1 they have been take to a place until the "heat" dies off

2 they have been split and allready sold on to customers

I think given the price of bees at the moment and people desperate to get hold of them, the wood is of little value.

Latest posts

Back