101 Days to Xmas...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widdershins

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
...so, am I too early to bake a Christmas Cake, or what?? i intend to feed it again - last years was delicious!!!! :cheers2:

After much careful thought ............

and consideration of the tricky problem .........

I reckon ...................

You should make two !

We would need a tasting session just to make sure the Xmas one is going to be ok :)

Ahh, BUT, if we eat the 2nd one before the 1st one (or vice versa), then how would we know what the other cake tasted like??? Even if we ate half of each, and put the left over halves together, it still wouldnt tell us what the finished cake outcome would be would it, due to age and extra brandy/whiskey/whisky/whatever alcohol I can get my mitts on to feed it.....:svengo:

Yes, I dooo see your point, ......

better just keep making 'em and tasting 'em till a trend emerges ;)

Pleeeese can I come and help :)

JC.

...so, am I too early to bake a Christmas Cake

No, if you bake it today and if it is properly fed it might be just about ready for Christmas 2010 but another year maturing would be better still.

It occurs to me that you should make a 'Bonfire Night' cake using the same recipe ...... to test it out.

And maybe local 'Bonfire Night' venues would also be suitable venues for 'Anniversary Eyeballs' for forumeers meet and greets as per the other thread.

Especially if Fris is coming ............ she'll 'roast yer 'taters' for a few of you I don't doubt ! ...... ooh I can feel my ears burning now ;) :leaving:

can i just point out, that the first day of christmas is August the first every year, if you have kids that is

because that is when the autum/winter argos catalogue comes out with all the christmas presants in the back, our kids used to have differant coloured highlighter pens and instead of xmas lists we were handed back the argos catalogue instead, can i also mention that scrooge was a hero to me and christmas as my family will teastify will only get one reply from me and thats bah humbug

...so, you wont want any cake then, Pete??!! ;)

No, if you bake it today and if it is properly fed it might be just about ready for Christmas 2010 but another year maturing would be better still.

Similar to what my grandmother would say. She reckoned the best time for making a Christmas cake (and puddings for that matter), was in the New year for the following Christmas.

Then again I have seen recipes for quick christmas cakes which can be made as late as December. I've not tried them but I reckon they wouldn't be up to much as Christmas cakes need maturing for the flavours to develop.

bee-smillie

I like waffles too .............. but cake is better ;)

Oh, it's 93 days to go before Christmas.
I'm so excited to celebrate Christmas for this year because I am expecting my sister to be at home this Christmas. She worked in another country for about 3 years and she said she will be home before Christmas.
Christmas is really the most wonderful event that happens once every year and it's been the happiest day for every Christian people.

Yes, but let's keep Christmas special.
It should be illegal to have any decorations up ,no Christmas music, or Father Christmas until 2 weeks before the 24th.
It is a lovely time of the year, but the long hype drag into it makes the special time tawdry.
And parents have to explain to little ones in OCTOBER that they have to wait a while yet - wearying!!!!!!!! :svengo:

Blimey, I only asked if it was too early/late to bake a cake! :svengo:

Heather - I noticed yesterday in Wilkinsons in our local town they have the XMAS decorations on sale and in a promenient position!!!! So it must be XMAS??????????
Oh sorry its still September I just checked the calendar or did we get into the time machine and skip all the other bits in between...

Heather - I noticed yesterday in Wilkinsons in our local town they have the XMAS decorations on sale and in a promenient position!!!! So it must be XMAS??????????
Oh sorry its still September I just checked the calendar or did we get into the time machine and skip all the other bits in between...

No connection I'm afraid (poor relations not welcome:( ).

John Wilkinson

I remember years ago, when I had conections with the retail trade, that 1st September was considered the start of the Christmas selling season - hence the appearance of christmas decoration etc in the shops.

bee-smillie

I am so tempted to act like a dement (who would notice the diff) and just sweep all the shelves clean of all the tinsel++ when on shelves so early- :cuss: I do rant at staff - poor dears

Oh the cake- go for it - my Mum used to bake one every week and my dad and brother hoofed the lot- enjoy :drool5:

Same with Easter.
all gardening stuff relegated ,to be replaced by Easter eggs and bunnies etc. as soon as the last bit of tinsel disappears :toetap05:

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back