1 bee in my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which branch are you with? Jackbee

I had to collect a swarm in Bedminster on Monday evening that should have been collected Sunday afternoon, the weather was really bad and it was tipping down with rain when I collected it

I live the other side of Bristol and was in Bath when I had the call and still went to collect it

Not really fair if your waiting for a swarm and people don't collect the swarm when it is first reported

Which branch are you with? Jackbee

I had to collect a swarm in Bedminster on Monday evening that should have been collected Sunday afternoon, the weather was really bad and it was tipping down with rain when I collected it

I live the other side of Bristol and was in Bath when I had the call and still went to collect it

Not really fair if your waiting for a swarm and people don't collect the swarm when it is first reported

I'm actually with Bath, I live on east side of bristol and they were the nearest with spaces on the beginners course when I was looking early this year.

I'm raring to go when i get a call, suit and wellies in the car at all times lol

From what i've read and seen on here, it's an amazing experience collecting and housing a swarm so hopefully will happen :cool:

Staples from a staple gun will rust. Use the galvanized wire staples sold (mostly) for fencing wire or galvanized roofing nails.

In use the crown galvanised staples for outdoor applications, repairing fencing etc. dont rust, last for years.

From what i've read and seen on here, it's an amazing experience collecting and housing a swarm so hopefully will happen :cool:

It's an amazing experience when they're not cold and/or wet and narky, in a wall/roof/chimney/top of a thorny whippy tree or hedge/overhanging water/in a shopping precinct/and still there when you get there :)

Sent round the who wants swarms to our local members last night...after a member had to make eight phone calls to home a prime...

It's an amazing experience when they're not cold and/or wet and narky, in a wall/roof/chimney/top of a thorny whippy tree or hedge/overhanging water/in a shopping precinct/and still there when you get there :)

Sent round the who wants swarms to our local members last night...after a member had to make eight phone calls to home a prime...

lol, i'm sure there are many like that, just looking fwd to my first

The next problem will be you get some bees, but then can't look at them 'cause it's too darn cold :banghead:

BTW you want to replace those drawing pins...:p :leaving:

The next problem will be you get some bees, but then can't look at them 'cause it's too darn cold :banghead:

BTW you want to replace those drawing pins...:p :leaving:

i'd settle for that :nopity:

drawing pins :redface:

New behaviour this morning according to update call from oh.

instead of going into hive , they're circling it and fence/trees in front - anyone got any ideas on this different behaviour.
And there's a few more, 8/10 at a time rather than 2/3.

It's fascinating just watching these few, and you also notice just how much other flying activity there is in the garden when you just sit & watch.

for the record I am still using drawing pins, and have only had to fix a little sagging (not enough for bees or wasps to use) by pushing back in the drawing pin.

Good luck with attracting a swarm, looks promising for you!

btw, did you say you had frames of foundation in the hive? if so the bees could just be attracted to the smell and are not swarm scout bees.

I wouldnt personally have foundation in the hive until I have some bees, it could sag/melt if the temps get too high, and also attract wax moth.

btw, did you say you had frames of foundation in the hive? if so the bees could just be attracted to the smell and are not swarm scout bees.

I wouldnt personally have foundation in the hive until I have some bees, it could sag/melt if the temps get too high, and also attract wax moth.

i do have foundation in there, along with a lemongrass oil swab, most advice i've seen says to have some, as the smell of wax/comb can act as an incentive.

I will check for melt when i get home as it's going to be a hot one today here in bristol

Ah ok, I'm not sure how useful foundation is as bait/lure, old comb is meant to be. As I said, I know normal foragers are attracted to the smell of wax/foundation, so it could be that is the interest you are getting right now, and not swarm scouts.

I am sure a swarm scout wouldnt be put off by a bit of foundation having said that :)

Do let us know if you get a swarm, and if so I will put some foundation in my bait hives!

New behaviour this morning according to update call from oh.

instead of going into hive , they're circling it and fence/trees in front - anyone got any ideas on this different behavior.
And there's a few more, 8/10 at a time rather than 2/3.

It's fascinating just watching these few, and you also notice just how much other flying activity there is in the garden when you just sit & watch.

Probably checking out the neighborhood before they decide to move in or not!

:leaving:

Only joking, no idea.

Ah ok, I'm not sure how useful foundation is as bait/lure, old comb is meant to be. As I said, I know normal foragers are attracted to the smell of wax/foundation, so it could be that is the interest you are getting right now, and not swarm scouts.

I am sure a swarm scout wouldnt be put off by a bit of foundation having said that :)

Do let us know if you get a swarm, and if so I will put some foundation in my bait hives!

i know, but i haven't got any old comb :(

i know chances are slim, but i have an empty hive, might as well stick it out lol

I did the same last year. Had the hive built and ready but had to wait for the bees I was buying so I thought stick it out and hope..... either you catch one or you don't. Didn't work for me last year but I have seen/heard of many more swarms in the last 2 weeks than the whole of last summer! I have another empty hive out there now waiting and hoping, can't do any harm can it? Good luck!

new behaviour yesterday, some bees fighting on landing board - does that mean they were rival foragers - so robbers rather than scouts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7KQR8baa4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7KQR8baa4[/ame]

Latest posts

Back