“Swiss Beekeepers Sound the Alarm”

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
The winter of 2009/2010 has hit Switzerland‟s bee population hard, with 22% of their number not surviving. Another 8% have suffered so badly that they will not survive much longer, according to one of the country‟s leading beekeepers‟ associations.
According to the survey, the beekeepers estimate their losses at SFr 10 million (9 million US dollars) adding that the ecological consequences will be severe. The figures are based on the estimates of 18,000 beekeepers in the German and Romansch speaking parts of the country.
The exact cause of the deaths remain a mystery, despite several scientific research projects.
According to the beekeepers, the main culprit is varroa destructor, a parasitic mite from Asia that attacks honey bees.”

They must of just realized they have varroa then......bit retarded.

Not at all folks, another piece of stupid reporting me thinks.

I was given a tour of a Beehaus, a proper one that is by a senior member of the SBA and he showed me how he treated for Varroa back in 2000.

I can also tell you the origins of the Lederhosen dance but that is another story. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back