Don't know whether to laugh or cry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened my BBKA news and found page 331 espousing matchstick again. (Shakes head in disbelief)

This months ?
In a pile with the others waiting for the aga!
I don't get time to read it I'm to busy watching paint!
And bee's , sheep , the inside of my eye lids .

Lots on their Facebook page advocating it too.
“I’ve always done it that way and my bees are fine” is the usual mantra
Laugh? Cry?
Both!

I often let logic guide me in many things, allowing an air gap for any warm air to rise and leave the hive in the depths of winter to is not logical, you wouldn't poke holes in the roof of your house to alleviate a bit of condensation on the windows in winter would you?

I often let logic guide me in many things, allowing an air gap for any warm air to rise and leave the hive in the depths of winter to is not logical, you wouldn't poke holes in the roof of your house to alleviate a bit of condensation on the windows in winter would you?

I sure wouldn't, especially if I'd spent hours foraging fuel to heat the house.

I sure wouldn't, especially if I'd spent hours foraging fuel to heat the house.

Thank the Lord for nuclear power and air con units!

Where can one obtain beekeepers matchsticks from???... not listed in the Thornie's catalogue of defunct beekeeping essentials.

Will try PArgyle & Co.. probably sells a packet of three at £3.99 +P&P !!!

Chons da

Thank the Lord for nuclear power and air con units!

Where can one obtain beekeepers matchsticks from???... not listed in the Thornie's catalogue of defunct beekeeping essentials.

Will try PArgyle & Co.. probably sells a packet of three at £3.99 +P&P !!!

Chons da

Hand turned hardwood tapered fully adjustable matchsticks to a close tolerance 4mm maximum diameter reducing to 1mm with a knob at the end so they can be easily inserted and removed. £3.99 EACH (Postage free) ..guaranteed to reduce condensation. Pack of four special offer £14.50.

Hand turned hardwood tapered fully adjustable matchsticks to a close tolerance 4mm maximum diameter reducing to 1mm with a knob at the end so they can be easily inserted and removed. £3.99 EACH (Postage free) ..guaranteed to reduce condensation. Pack of four special offer £14.50.

How many do you recommend per hive?

How many do you recommend per hive?

Four .. one at each corner so that you can adjust the gap to take advantage of the prevailing wind direction to get the maximum updraught ... For high intensity beekeepers I sell a max-draught version that tapers from 3mm to 6mm ... same price as the slim fit ...

Four .. one at each corner so that you can adjust the gap to take advantage of the prevailing wind direction to get the maximum updraught ... For high intensity beekeepers I sell a max-draught version that tapers from 3mm to 6mm ... same price as the slim fit ...

New from K-Tel ...

Just opened my BBKA news and found page 331 espousing matchstick again. (Shakes head in disbelief)

I foolishly skim read this clown's advice in each magazine, he never fails to produce at least one nugget of sheer idiocy in each edition.
So if this is the paragon of beekeeping exellence then yes, the scare peddlers are right - honeybees are in danger

Not long back from the smoke and now I've noticed my eagerly awaited monthly dose of BBKA chuckles waiting for me on the hallstand - this bloke is also a trustee and in charge of this month's trustee's editorial. I noticed one sentnce - 'when I first stared to keep bees, I knew very little about them.......but now can hold my own at most social gatherings'
I wouldn't trust him to hold my hat and coat!!

I really think the BBKA should get its act together
How are beginners supposed to understand?
I speak to people just starting out and they are repeating this tosh.

I really think the BBKA should get its act together
How are beginners supposed to understand?
I speak to people just starting out and they are repeating this tosh.

And much worse ...they are mixing ideas up ...and spouting it all out. It's as though beekeeping go stuvck somewhere in the 1950's and never moved on ..

Even as a self confessed noob, I thought the whole match stick idea seemed outdated.

So I opted for the modern alternative and used cigarette lighters instead.

:sorry:

On a serious note, as a noob I could not agree more with pargyle and Erichalfbee. I suffered exactly this problem throughout my learning curve.

The way I see now, there are several systems you can use. And as pargyle says mixing up different systems/ideas relay does cause confusion.

Believe it or not, it was this forum that helped me out of the confusion.

So thanks to all you regulars who have shared your knowledge.

Excellent tactic to new beekeepers, if they lose a large proportion of their bees each winter, then they will need to buy more each spring or if they are not ‘dedicated ‘ will give up. Glad I don’t have anything to do with this organisation, it’s just a pity small time beekeepers have no where else to go.
S

NO.:calmdown::calmdown::calmdown:.. SHOCK HORROR... these beehive roof ventilators are equipped with an incendiary device at one end!

What is the purpose of that????

They aid early spring brood rearing .

Latest posts

Back