What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into 2 colonies that I took Nucs from last week. Reduced both down to 1 QC. 11 degrees but no wind. Bees were very tolerant.

Brief improvement in the weather this afternoon, took the opportunity to check on last week’s nuc’d queen. Laying nicely, short on stores having used up the frame I gave last week so added fondant. Reduced 15 qc's to one in her old colony. Hoping the weather will improve by the time she’s ready to mate.
Nuc’d another queen, a 2021 queen after finding qc’s in her hive. They weren’t impressed, pinging and covering veil and hands. The SBI is due to inspect them on Friday, as I’m not happy with them.
The others are quietly getting on with the job, strong and steady. Filling a super and pleasant to work with.

Last edited:
Had one hive with a couple of queen cups with eggs in last weekend. No royal jelly, just eggs, but I knew I couldn't put off an inspection this weekend, despite temperatures barely over 10C and few breaks in the rain. Managed to get through inspecting three hives late Friday afternoon, and did find a couple of queen cells with larva in one, so glad I inspected despite the weather. Nuc'd the queen.
I expected that they might have started using up all that they'd been storing in the supers so far, but thankfully there's still enough nectar coming in that I actually had to put a third super on one of them. Forecast to be 16-17C next week, albeit with a lot of rain, so who knows what that will bring.

Latest posts

Back