Keeping bees on roofs in London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I know I shouldn't be starting this but below are some questions asked by a client of mine.

I would say there are no regulations regarding these..... but does someone know better?

"1 - Are there any rules or regulations when in it comes to installing Bee hIves in theses spaces (Hight, light, sounds…) .

2- Are there any limitations on quantities (Number of hives per M or KM)

3 - Are there any other requirements (Local flora coverage or food sources)"

I think the answers are No, No & No ...

Having said that - there is some (apocryphal) evidence that there are now so many hives on roofs in London that they are reaching saturation point in terms of forage ....

As above no to all, to saturation probably only an issue in central/city. Get to suburban areas your laughing

As above no to all, to saturation probably only an issue in central/city. Get to suburban areas your laughing
Some years ago .. a former member on here Tom Bick (Also an SBI) was sharing concerns about the density of hives even in the more suburban areas of London - although I would agree with you about central London and the City - it appears to have become very fashionable to have bees on the top of your office block in London (Green credentials sic !)

The only concern and it is a very small one might be roof loading depending on the underlying construction of the roof.

Latest posts

Back