How to add full depth langstroth nucleus frames into a new layens horizontal hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_s

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone could please give me some guidance as to how to add full depth langstroth frames into a layens horizontal hive? I've bought a 5 full depth langstroth frame nucleus colony and looking to start out my new layens hive with them. But of course they are too wide and not deep enough so I'm looking how best to modify and attach them.

I’ve read that I could cut the langstroth down the side to fit into layens and screw into place but in practice I’m a little hesitant with this (see attached). Thanks in advance for any advice I appreciate it. Thanks

Sam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230904_133004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230904_133004_Chrome.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
The solution is in the box and not in the frame. Buy or build box 470*350 mm (interior) so that in one direction you can hang the lanstrogth frames and in the perpendicular direction the layens. During the flow season, superimpose one box on top of the other, with the one you want to populate being the closest to the drain. If you do it outside of a honey flow you can put a honey super in between to encourage bottom building and carry.

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone could please give me some guidance as to how to add full depth langstroth frames into a layens horizontal hive? I've bought a 5 full depth langstroth frame nucleus colony and looking to start out my new layens hive with them. But of course they are too wide and not deep enough so I'm looking how best to modify and attach them.

I’ve read that I could cut the langstroth down the side to fit into layens and screw into place but in practice I’m a little hesitant with this (see attached). Thanks in advance for any advice I appreciate it. Thanks

Sam
Your screenshot image offers a good solution. If you cut the lugs off the langstroth will they fit lengthways secured with cable ties ? Bees will fill in the gaps eventually.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean by modifying the hive to hang to langstroth frames perpendicular. But sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by superimposing them or the drain. Do you have diagram or picture by any chance to help me understand? Sorry I'm just starting out with beekeeping, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your screenshot image offers a good solution. If you cut the lugs off the langstroth will they fit lengthways secured with cable ties ? Bees will fill in the gaps eventually.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean to try and fit the langstroth on the side with a layens frame? If so I've seen something similar online but they used a spacer and had to bring up the lip of the hive box to accept the langstroth frame on its side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905_182315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230905_182315_Chrome.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 0
I'm just not sure what is the easiest solution for a beginner that is still kind on the bees

I'm just not sure what is the easiest solution for a beginner that is still kind on the bees
In a box of 470*350 interior measurements there will be room for 9 lansgtroth frames or 12/13 layens frame. You will need two boxes to make the change.
If you have a hive in layens and want to spend it lansgtroth. Arrangements from top to bottom.
-Roof
-Overcap
-Box with layens frames.
-Medium super. Optional depending on the nectar flow.
-Box with lansgtroth frames.
-Entry/Floor
If you want to proceed the other way around, the box are exchanged. The new frames in the lower one and those that want to be replaced in the upper one.
Let the bees do the work throughout the season.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean to try and fit the langstroth on the side with a layens frame? If so I've seen something similar online but they used a spacer and had to bring up the lip of the hive box to accept the langstroth frame on its side.
Yes

In a box of 470*350 interior measurements there will be room for 9 lansgtroth frames or 12/13 layens frame. You will need two boxes to make the change.
If you have a hive in layens and want to spend it lansgtroth. Arrangements from top to bottom.
-Roof
-Overcap
-Box with layens frames.
-Medium super. Optional depending on the nectar flow.
-Box with lansgtroth frames.
-Entry/Floor
If you want to proceed the other way around, the box are exchanged. The new frames in the lower one and those that want to be replaced in the upper one.
Let the bees do the work throughout the season.
Ok thanks for the information

Latest posts

Back