First swarm.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one swarm from my hive about a week ago but they decided to go back in.
Then had two swarm from my hive a couple of days ago on the first day of weather good enough to open up and inspect!
Didn't manage to catch either.
Woman down the road had two swarms from her hive same day, could not catch either.
I am only in my third year but this is ridiculous there are swarms everywhere!
did it not occur to both of you to reduce the number of QCs down to one thus avoiding them constantly throwing casts thus continuously bleeding off all of your foraging force?

I had one swarm from my hive about a week ago but they decided to go back in.
Then had two swarm from my hive a couple of days ago on the first day of weather good enough to open up and inspect!
Didn't manage to catch either.
Woman down the road had two swarms from her hive same day, could not catch either.
Yesterday I was in the veg garden and watched a swarm turn up in next doors garden.
Head hight, did not bother with the Nuc as they have refused to stay put in it.
So emptied them out into a hive I had setup.
Still there this morning. My first successful swarm catch.
I am only in my third year but this is ridiculous there are swarms everywhere!
Very strong hive overwintered on brood and a half hive swarmed in warm weather last week,caught and put in new hive with some capped brood. 1st hive swarmed again this a.m. No eggs but QC. Suspect i missed QC last time.No more hives so have combined 2nd swarm with weaker hive with no eggs/brood (over paper).So hive 1 with QC.,Hive 2 combined with swarm,so hope with virgin Q.
Hive 3, caught swarm with presumably Q not mated/ not laying yet. Lets hope it all settles down

did it not occur to both of you to reduce the number of QCs down to one thus avoiding them constantly throwing casts thus continuously bleeding off all of your foraging force?
The weather has been so bad here.
If I could have opened up earlier I would have.
The day they swarmed was the first day good enough to inspect !

Sorry, I don't buy it. If weather was good enough for them to build up to swarming strength, then there must have been opportunities to inspect.
If necessary I do inspect in sub optimal weather, but each to their own

Sorry, I don't buy it. If weather was good enough for them to build up to swarming strength, then there must have been opportunities to inspect.
I did lose one swarm early in April - before I'd started my weekly inspections. Sure there were gaps in the cold and wet when I could have inspected, and the bees took one such chance to leave. But they're waiting for the opportunity with few other cares. We're not necessarily able to act with so few and brief moments available. Not forgetting there's a LOT of talk on here about not opening too early or when conditions are unsuitable.

I did lose one swarm early in April - before I'd started my weekly inspections. Sure there were gaps in the cold and wet when I could have inspected, and the bees took one such chance to leave. But they're waiting for the opportunity with few other cares. We're not necessarily able to act with so few and brief moments available. Not forgetting there's a LOT of talk on here about not opening too early or when conditions are unsuitable.
It's very much a personal choice: opening when conditions are bad Vs a higher risk of a swarm. Having had a swarm still doesn't mean it was the "wrong" choice either!

If a colony swarms and then one needs to go in what ever the weather asap and sort the issue out. The situation is very different to that of a first of the season check where more favourable weather may often be better.

I get told not to inspect when the weathers bad.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Latest posts

Back