Feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just checked my hives. Three doing OK but didn't open them up as weather to be horrible tomorrow. I saw pollen going in and all look busy.
I did heft but although they feel heavy enough should I maybe feed just in case? To be honest I am thinking no at this time of year but is anyone else still feeding?

I always heft with no roof ( I still use wooden ones) , if one can heft very easily with two fingers then they may need keeping an eye on.
Two fingers with a little lifting resistance then no, heavy lifting resistance definately not and likely need some removing.

There will be spring forage for them as seen by pollen incoming, sycamore is a good early forage source as well as forgetmenot varieties, dandelions , flowering cherries (going over here now), early fruit trees etc,etc and many more sources.

Don't feed now unless you want sugar in your honey.

if one can heft very easily with two fingers then they may need keeping an eye on.
I wouldn't even bother getting worried until I could easily heft with one finger - especially with the roof off

Back