Demaree timings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi All,
I did my first Demaree today on a booming colony.

Due to work commitments, I’m not going to be able to go into the hive between day 6 and day 9 after today.

I’d ideally like to make some nucs assuming they draw out some queen cells in the top box.

Will doing this on day 5 work, or will it be problematic?

Should probably have thought of this in advance but some excellent weather, a day off and bees going bonkers in the sunshine got me excited.

Thanks

eight days before the QC gets capped (I've never seen a QC in a Demaree capped before the eighth day) so you've still got a week to act after that.
Thank you!
Would you go in on day 4-5 and take anything down that they’ve made up to that point or just go in asap after day 7?
Thanks

Thank you!
Would you go in on day 4-5 and take anything down that they’ve made up to that point or just go in asap after day 7?
Thanks
I used to once years ago, and only leave any open cells, if you take them all down you will end up with queens from older larvae. Nowadays I never bother going in until at least day eight - going in on day 7 will almost always give you uncapped QC's

Sorry to pick this up again, but the weather for next week down here doesn’t look good for beekeeping.
I could go back in tomorrow which is day 5-6 but otherwise with the weather and work it’s looking like day 13-14.
I assume I’m best to go in tomorrow and take anything down that resembles a cell and hope for the best?
Thanks

Back