Best laid plans of mice and men...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Expected new mated Queen today to do my first split. Everything ready and lined up in garage ready to take down to apiary. Sorted Weather out with 12 deg, no wind or rain. Afternoon cleared of all appointments - most moved to Friday.
Postie arrived and... no Queen :(

Mega disappointed I emailed supplier, no I didnt get the email, it was sent to an incorrect "group", so I'm not the only one.

Good news! It will be with me on Friday... except forecast is for temps of 6-7 deg with showers, our regular postie is off this friday and I now have to move appointments around again. So not good news really.

it could be worse of course and the supplier could not help it I suppose, its just the disappointment after looking forward to it.

Pass the Ardbeg

K :(

Expected new mated Queen today to do my first split. Everything ready and lined up in garage ready to take down to apiary. Sorted Weather out with 12 deg, no wind or rain. Afternoon cleared of all appointments - most moved to Friday.
Postie arrived and... no Queen :(

Mega disappointed I emailed supplier, no I didnt get the email, it was sent to an incorrect "group", so I'm not the only one.

Good news! It will be with me on Friday... except forecast is for temps of 6-7 deg with showers, our regular postie is off this friday and I now have to move appointments around again. So not good news really.

it could be worse of course and the supplier could not help it I suppose, its just the disappointment after looking forward to it.

Pass the Ardbeg

K :(
Disappointing - but a least you have the Ardbeg, lovely whisky if you like it peaty! 👍

Her Majesty arrived yesterday and temps were around 9 deg and plenty bees flying so did the split as described by JBM in another thread (thanks again ;) )
It went well except there was very little stores to be had and I worried about which to give the only frame with stores.
I gave it to the Nuc and quickly added a jar of 1:1 syrup above which is all I had to hand.
No QC's or cups seen.
This morning I replaced the empty jar with a fondant feeder and half a pollen patty. I broke the tab of the cage as the bees were all pretty calm.
I also added a fondant and pollen patty feed to the main hive.
It's a bit warmer today although forecast wet and cooler tomorrow.
I could see plenty activity in front of the main hive and could see some orientation flying going on in front of the nuc.
So I am as happy as I can be at this stage, fingers crossed.
K ;)

Went into 2 colonies that I took Nucs from last week. Reduced both down to 1 QC. 11 degrees but no wind. Bees were very tolerant.

Latest posts

Back