Cheap Bayvarol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I haven't used Bayvarol or Apistan for 4 yrs and had some spare strips in my shed so thought I'd see if my mites were still resistant.

I put a handful of bee's in a tub with a mesh floor with a suspended strip of Bayvarol inside and left for a day.

The result was 23 dead mites.

I then put then drowned the bee's in water with a dash of washing up liquid and seived the resulting mess and found 1 further mite, so think i had a pretty good result that mine are ready for a change of attack. So had a quick search for who was the cheapest for Bayvarol and found:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/bayvarol-strips_1_18190.html

Never used them and have no connections but have ordered 5 packs to give the mites a quick dose.

I will still follow up with a winter dose of oxalic acid, but thought everyone might like to know that resistance does seem to disappear over time.

4 years ago i did a similar test and had something like 3 mites drop when treated with bayvarol and 20+ when drowned and seived.

C B

Good for you for testing.

I too have not used it for a number of years, but I am concerned that there are still alot of people near me who still do use it (and never stopped). At the moment I am still sticking with thymol based products as I am assuming that my bees will pick up my neighbours bayvarol treated and therefore resistant ones. I have quite a few hives as well and don't fancy testing resistance in all of them this year!

Does anyone else out there wish that Bayvarol/Apistan had been withdrawn from the market completely several years ago so that no-one could use it? We might all be able to have it back in our armoury against the mite again by now.

Meg

This is good news - and I agree that there needs to be a concerted effort to switch products on a regular basis. Eventually the mites will no doubt tolerate thymol, and it would be good to clobber them with something they haven't seen for 10 years.

This is good news - and I agree that there needs to be a concerted effort to switch products on a regular basis. Eventually the mites will no doubt tolerate thymol, and it would be good to clobber them with something they haven't seen for 10 years.

the FAQ question 17 on the Apiguard site actual suggest that

http://www.vita-europe.com/en/APIGUARD FAQs 2009.pdf

Q19 is more revealing, but one has to draw one's own conclusion as to the actuat probability of thymol resisstance in the near future. It does appear they are saying very unlikely, just not possible to be 100% sure.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back