Extractor motor rpm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
What sort of final rpm do the extractor motors need to turn at?
Just need a ballpark figure (maximum speed) that the extractor cage needs to turn at (in plain english as i dont know much about electrickery).

Looking at direct connection rather than pulleys.
If you could post some links to some stuff it would be a great help

Hello,
About 500 RPM but it also depends on the radius of the extractor.
Tks
Norton.

I reckon 150 rpm for the cage is nearer the mark if you don't want your frames to fly apart.

If you've used a manually turned extractor at a satisfactory speed, just count the number of times you turn the handle in one minute, multiply that by the number of teeth on the big wheel, and divide that result by the number of teeth on the little gear wheel.

That will give you the RPM figure which the frame spins at for that machine. :)

the standard range of speed is starting speed of 70rpm building slowly to 150rpm at top whack and thing faster than 200 rpm and your frames will seperate gaurenteed, and slower and it dont work properly,
several quickies for you to moterize an old hand spinner use an alectric drill only needs a small 500watt one
to be a bit more posher try a fan moter and either its fan controler or a light switch dimmer as a speed controller. anything after that is a waste of energy unless you own a parvalux moter 240 volt or go 12/24volt dc motors

and if you realy want to go for it big style try this idea, but dont tell your kids, buy beg rob borrow any way you can a childs electric scooter or an elcetric toy motor car they are normaly 36volts dc and work up to 200 watts with its own speed controller system people normaly chuck them away because when they think its bust it only needs a new battery or one of the controlers has shorted out because its been left outside for 4 months all you need to do is buy a car battery charger or some such thing to use as a power source

mmm getting confused now as i just spun my extractor by hand and i turned the crank handle 124 times in a minute. I know my extractor is a 3:1 meaning that for every 1 turn of the handle the basket turns 3 times so 124 x 3 = 372 rpm its a tangential as well.

So am i right in thinking i need a motor with max rpm of about 400?:confused::confused:

have a look in the catalogue s to see what there speeds are we are not talking how fast can we go its how fast do we have to go to extract honey, the quicker we go the fast it comes out and the wax foundation gives up where as with a motor we would normaly leave it for running longer rather than your hand fast but short spped/time burst

There is no way I can continue doing it manually as I have done my shoulder in doing it this way. :cheers2:

motor

can any body tell me is Thornes motor an induction motor or universal brush motor, also is the drive from the motor though the gearbox worm and pinion drive. induction motor most turn at 1450 or 3000rpm brushed motor at 20,000rpm. the type of gearing looks simala to the gearing on a angle grinder.
brushed motors can be used with a speed controler. there is a lever on the end of the Thornes motor is this the on off switch or is there a clutch system.

On the thornes motor is a lever that controls the speed and can also reverse it as well.

Never thought of an angle grinder for a motor.

Last edited:
mmm getting confused now as i just spun my extractor by hand and i turned the crank handle 124 times in a minute. I know my extractor is a 3:1 meaning that for every 1 turn of the handle the basket turns 3 times so 124 x 3 = 372 rpm its a tangential as well.

So am i right in thinking i need a motor with max rpm of about 400?:confused::confused:

If you're facts are correct Veg, Then your conclusion is correct.

Personally I think 400 rpm is a bit fast and likely to disrupt your frames.

I think it would be wiser to have a motor capable of more speed ie 400rpm so that it isnt under too much stress.:cheers2:

brushed motor at 20,000rpm.

This is a serious misconception.

Motors which have brushes can operate at almost any speed, depending on the design of the commutator, and whether they are series or parallel connected, electric field or permanent magnet, together with other more sophisticated design features.

They are very versatile devices indeed.

:) JC.

JCBRUM

What does that mean in plain english?

I think it would be wiser to have a motor capable of more speed ie 400rpm so that it isnt under too much stress.:cheers2:

The size of the motor, not the speed of rotation is what governs it's ability to cope with any required load.

:) JC.

As you seem to know your electrickery what do you think would be suitable for direct connection to the shaft with a speed control?

Latest posts

Back